PDF popup note in GdViewer

Discussions about document viewing.
cserrure

PDF popup note in GdViewer

Post by cserrure » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:40 pm

Hello,
I’m using GdViewer the in a WPF application in order to display PDF documents.

The documents I have to deal with may have been previously annotated by users with standard PDF editors like Acrobat Reader. Most of the time they make big use of the nice sticky note tool provided by Acrobat.

With the GdPicturePDF.GetAnnotationSubType method I get "Popup" for this kind of annotation.
I can’t figure out how to have GdViewer properly display this kind of annotation? The "popup" is initially displayed collapsed but I can’t expand it by clicking on it?

There must be something I’m missing because I was able to add this kind of annotation to a PDF with GdPicturePDF.AddStickyNoteAnnotation. So I guess it must be possible to display it properly with GdViewer?

Thank you in advance,
Cheers.

Cedric

Re: PDF popup note in GdViewer

Post by Cedric » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:18 am

Hello,

Those are Adobe PDF annotations and the SDK provides methods to create/edit/delete those programmatically indeed.
However it is not possible to interact with this annotation scheme through GdViewer, only our own annotation scheme (GdPicture/XMP annotations) is supported for both programmatic and interactive interactions.

Cheers!

cserrure

Re: PDF popup note in GdViewer

Post by cserrure » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Hello,
Ok thank you for your reply.
In my case this limitation makes GdViewer unusable. I can’t expect users to understand why they cannot read annotations and why the cannot click on the weird yellow box displayed above the PDF text.
Sadly, I will have to look for alternative component. At worst we’re going to develop a viewer control on top of the GD SDK.
Anyway I’m interested to know if you plan to add extended support for annotation in the future ? beyond you own XMP scheme ?
Christian.