GdPicturePDF is amazing! How about GdPictureTIFF?

General discussions about GdPicture.NET.
ElkayEQ

GdPicturePDF is amazing! How about GdPictureTIFF?

Post by ElkayEQ » Thu May 11, 2017 2:56 am

Creating PDF's could not be simpler with this terrific object - GdPicturePDF has made my life go from a burning cauldron to a nice, warm happy place!
But...what have you done for me lately?? Just kidding of course!

I was curious if there is or will ever (possibly?) be something similar for TIFF files? Creating those beasts isn't terribly difficult - again with GDPicture (I have version 12) it's actually pretty simple. The ugly part is the endless Disc-IO loop you have to place yourself in: Add a page - save the Tiff. Add another page - save the Tiff. Etc., etc.

Most of the TIFF documents I have to create are 5-20 frames each though a few have come across my desk at several hundred. The disc IO is by far the slowest part of this process. Being able to build the entire TIFF in memory (like GdPicturePDF does) would be amazing!

Why is this an important feature? At least for my company, it's huge since we're creating millions of documents each year and 99% of those are TIFF. That's a LOT of disc-IO!

Thoughts??

-LK

sbritton

Re: GdPicturePDF is amazing! How about GdPictureTIFF?

Post by sbritton » Fri May 12, 2017 4:52 pm

In version 14 there are some options..

oGdPictureImaging.TiffAppendPageFromGdPictureImage(ImageID, AddImgID)
oGdPictureImaging.TiffAddToMultiPageFile(TiffID, ImageID)

Another option: look at using TiffSaveAsMulitpageFile and save it to a memory stream while building it... then when done write it to disk..

Also (if budget allows for it), put some sort of super fast SSD drive on the machine where you work the IO at (enterprise class / nvme ), we have seen the performance increase is HUGE...

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: GdPicturePDF is amazing! How about GdPictureTIFF?

Post by Loïc » Fri May 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi guys,

We are already working on a better tiff handling core (in parallel of many other new features). It will be published in a GdPicture 14 release.

That said, I confirm that buying a ssd drive is always a good option :D

Cheers,

Loïc