Outlook MSG/EML

General discussions about GdPicture.NET.
ddh

Outlook MSG/EML

Post by ddh » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:39 pm

Is there any plan to support rasterization/viewing of Outlook MSG/EML files?

Thanks.

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Outlook MSG/EML

Post by Loïc » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi,

We are frequently considering such format, but they are really hard to address without external application plugin which is out of the philosophy of the SDK. So basically I can't engage on an implementation but I can tell that we are always trying to do something :)

Cheers,

Loïc

beinder

Post by beinder » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi Loïc,

Can you clarify the external application plug-in concept for me? As I understand, the contents of the MSG file is simply text, HTML, or RTF and embedded files. You already support those formats with the viewer. For any embedded files that are attachments you may also support viewing those formats, such as an embedded DOCX. Is your concern about parsing the MSG wrapper?

blakeadam

Post by blakeadam » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:14 pm

EML is the extension supported by multiple e-mail clients like Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Windows Live mail. MSG is the extension supported by Microsoft Outlook. . eml file can be read by its E-mail client along with other.

Hugo

Post by Hugo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:39 pm

Hi there,

We now support both EML and MSG formats as of a few minor versions ago.

Feel free to try this out and let us know.
https://www.gdpicture.com/download-gdpicture/

Regards,

mether

Post by mether » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:34 pm

Good Day to All,

Great news on support for these new formats! Coincidentally, the last few weeks we have had customers sending in .HEIC photos for the first time, now we won't need another viewer to convert them.

After installing gdPicture latest version (14.1.119), here's a quick summary and a few questions:

1. The viewer will display .HEIC images without any code changes, however rendering is much slower than jpeg (2-3 seconds vs. almost immediate). The file size is 936KB. Are there any code changes necessary to allow .HEIC files to render more quickly ? I would be glad to send you the file.

2. I am not getting any image display from Outlook 2016 .msg files, but I remember reading that you may only support up to 2013? If the newer file is the issue, when do you expect to have support for Outlook 2016-2021? If not the issue, do you have any code examples to help me getting this to work? I don't see too much about it in the reference guide.

Anyway...good job getting this out of the ground, it is greatly appreciated!

kind regards,

-Monte

ervinjason

Post by ervinjason » Tue May 31, 2022 8:16 pm

As I understand, the contents of the MSG file is simply text, HTML, or RTF and embedded files. Can you clarify the external application plug-in concept for me?

You already support those formats with the viewer. For any embedded files that are attachments you may also support viewing those formats, such as an embedded DOCX. Is your concern about parsing the MSG wrapper?

Hugo

Post by Hugo » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:26 pm

Hi Ervinjason,

Could you be more specific regarding your questions please?

Are you having issues with any specific aspect of managing MSG files?

Regards,
Hugo Cudd
Technical Support