Turn off scale to fit when printing

Discussions about document printing in GdPicture.NET using GdPictureImaging.
boundless

Turn off scale to fit when printing

Post by boundless » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Hello,

We are attempting to print a pdf with exact dimensions using gdpicturedotnet with vb.net code. The resulting printout is slightly scaled to be smaller. The dimensions coincide with the adobe reader printout if the "shrink to printable area" page scaling option is used. I assume that gdpicture is doing the same thing - is this correct? We need to turn off this scaling in order to get the printed dimensions to be exact:

The attached document has a box which is exactly 1.25 inches from the left, six inches in width, and 1.25 inches from the right of the page (for a total of 8.5 inches). When printed with gdpicture, these measurements are incorrect. Please help!

ok, the BB would not let me upload a doc, so here it is:

http://getboundless.com/Downloads/TestDoc.pdf

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Turn off scale to fit when printing

Post by Loïc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 am

Hi,

I printed you page using a virtual printer from Adbode and I have the exact same dimension.

What code are you using to print ?

Kind regards,

Loïc

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:04 am

PS: I tested with latest release.

boundless

Post by boundless » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:07 pm

Loïc,

Thanks for the reply. The correct dimensions (six inch box) can be seen by printing the document with acrobat reader and choosing "none" for the page scaling option. There is not a similar option that I can find with gdpicture. Are you saying that when you print using gdpicture, it gives you a page with the correct dimensions, or that both adobe and gdpicture give the same (incorrect) dimensions?

See the adobe options dialog here (http://screencast.com/t/XqNeF3PX). It shows the scaling in the preview, which is exactly the same thing gdpicture does when it prints.

The preview here shows the correct dimensions when scaling is turned off (http://screencast.com/t/3sowUf7SVOK).

Can we remove this scaling with gdpicture?

Thanks.
-Paul

boundless

Post by boundless » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:16 pm

I forgot to mention that we are using the sample "document viewer with thumbnails" to print, as well as creating a custom gdpicture viewer with our own code. Both viewers seem to print with the scaling.

Thanks.
-Paul

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi Paul,

This is not a scaling to printable area issue.

GdPicture.NET takes care of the Physical margins of your printer. This means that printing destination (in some situation) can be adjusted in this way:

PrintWidthDest = AskedWidth - (PhysicalLeftmargin * 2)
PrintHeightDest = AskedHeight - (PhysicalToptmargin * 2)

it appears that Adobe ignore physical margin on "default" printing. Tomorrow, we will make some test to try to replicate the Adobe Acrobate behavior for PDF printing.

Kind regards,

Loïc

boyan

Post by boyan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 am

Hi Loic,
My printings have similar 'physical margin' problem which I sent a request to esupport on 25 Jan.
I understand that Acrobat Reader ignores the physical margin by default. We need export PDF in our application and print PDF using GdPicture SDK.
To make perfect exported PDF file, we cannot add offset compensation for the printer 'physical margin'. However, printing this PDF using GdPicture SDK makes the printing-out off the designed position due to the 'physical margin'.
Is there a way to tell GdPicture SDK to ignore the 'physical margin' or provide a 'soft margin compensation' to GdPicture printing API?

Thanks!
-Bo

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:44 am

Bi Bo,

I think it is not the same issue as mentioned previously.
In latest release we stopped to check printer margin for non fitting printing.

Also, I don't have any trace of the PDF you sent to the support, so if you can explain your issue clearly and attach your document we should be able to help.

With best regards,

Loïc