SetActivePrinter = False when using a network printer

Discussions about document printing in GdPicture.NET using GdPictureImaging.
SIIYM

SetActivePrinter = False when using a network printer

Post by SIIYM » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Hi,

When I try to use a network printer (ex. \\srvdc1\dell-3115) with GdViewer/GdPictureImaging, the function SetActivePrinter return a false value. I can't define my network printer and GdPicture use a default local printer. I dont wan't to declare my network printer in windows, but use the network path directly to print.

GdViewer viewer = new GdViewer();
string printer = @"\\SRVDC1\dell-3115";
bool result = viewer.SetActivePrinter(printer);

Is it a problem ?

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: SetActivePrinter = False when using a network printer

Post by Loïc » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:17 pm

Hi,

Are you sure to enter to correct name ?

here a basic test to see what printer are reachable and to make a test of connection:

Code: Select all

Private Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        For i As Integer = 1 To oGdPictureImaging.PrintGetPrintersCount
            MsgBox("Next selection is: " + oGdPictureImaging.PrintGetPrinterName(i))
            MsgBox(Imaging1.PrintSetActivePrinter(oGdPictureImaging.PrintGetPrinterName(i)))
        Next
    End Sub

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Loïc

SIIYM

Post by SIIYM » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi,

Your code only give me the printers available on the local machine, even if some of these are plugged on a network. You can have the same list in the "Printers and Faxes" Windows menu.
Our previous component used by my company can print a document on a network or local printer, even if the printer is not added on the local machine, in my case a Windows 2003 Server.
I test several times but the fact is GdPicture can't reach a network printer if we don't have a reference in "Printers and Faxes".
I don't want to add each printer I want to use for printing but used directly its network path to launch printing process.

I hope you understand my problem.

Kind regards,

Yann.

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:49 pm

Ok Yann,

I understand you better. Unfortunately, GdPicture.NET works only with printer (local or network) which are declared on the computer.

Kind regards,

Loïc