Using in 64bit app

Discussions about image processing and document imaging.
edlemus

Using in 64bit app

Post by edlemus » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi,

I've been doing some tests using GdPicture in 64bit Windows; Windows 7 Pro specifically. Of course if I set the application to run as a 32bit one there's no problem; but running as 64bit generates trouble because the ocx is 32bit. The reason I want to run as 64bit is that I want to make use of more allocatable memory than the 32bit windows gives.
I'm on a project that requires to manage very large 24b color images, and I get a lot of OutOfMemory exceptions; I concluded after some research that this was because of the memory that windows is able to allocate for a single process; which I've noticed as well is much larger in 64bit editions; so, I'll like to do some testing.
Is it possible for you to provide a 64bit library? Or do you know any work around for this issue?

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Using in 64bit app

Post by Loïc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi,

You are absolutely right for the memory allocation.

However, we don't provide 64 bit OCX. We have plans to release 64 bit toolkits for GdPicture.NET within some months.

With best regards,

Loïc Carrère

edlemus

Post by edlemus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:49 am

Hi,

I've found a workaround! Is not a definite solution but at least gives a little more freedom to work.

To all who are interested:
- You can set /3GB flag in boot.ini, so windows knows you want to use up to 3GB of RAM for apps; this will bring 1GB more of allocatable space. Of course you've to have available physical RAM.
- In 64bit it gets even better because the 3GB flag lets you use as much as 4GB, so that's 2GB extra in 32bit apps.
- You'll have to compile your project with the flag IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE, so the OS knows that your app can handle addresses >2GB. I'm using VS2005, so this is easy with the provided tools.

This will set a limit that is so much higher than the original 2GB that windows allows as default, and you'll be able to work with biiiiiigger images.
Here's a link with detailed explanation on "how to", though there's plenty of info if you google it:
http://www.gidhome.com/support_team/gid3gb/index.html

Hope it helps someone, as this has been a real brain-breaker for me. ;)

(I'll still be waiting for the 64bit edition of GdPicture, that'll be a real solution!)

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Hi,

Thank you for this very useful post.

I make it as post-it.

Kind regards,

Loïc

Harry

Post by Harry » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Hi Loïc, hi edlemus,

most of new graphic boards can't work with the /3GB option of XP. In some cases you get a bluescreen. Using two monitors, you can get many trouble with the /3GB option. I'm looking for a solution for this problem.

Best regards,
Harry

dreynolds

Post by dreynolds » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:03 pm

Hello,

Is there any progress or timeframe as to when a 64bit version of gdPicture.net will be released?

I ran into many memory problems having to use the 32bit version.
The performance and memory gains would be most welcome.

~ Don ~

Loïc wrote:Hi,

You are absolutely right for the memory allocation.

However, we don't provide 64 bit OCX. We have plans to release 64 bit toolkits for GdPicture.NET within some months.

With best regards,

Loïc Carrère

gcazajous

Post by gcazajous » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Hi,

GdPicture.NET 64 bit is in progress, it will be finish in 3 to 6 months.

Best regards,

Gaël.