Appliction for Validation

Discussions about barcode reading and writing
knofan

Appliction for Validation

Post by knofan » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:34 pm

Im thinking of building a app that validates that you have picked the right product.

Problem:
Our company has a store with products. Approx 6-700 hundred of them. Some of the article numbers has some similarity, for example there can be one article 1300538 and one 130538. This is ugly and pepole make mistakes because of this.

Solution?
If you can validate that you picked the right product by taking a picture of the front, where the article number is (and sometimes a barcode) and validate it against the order being served. You should be able to get the human errors down to a minimum...right?

I have tried a little with barcodes. But have not been able to read many of my picture files. And it got me thinking that maybe it is to complicated to read when the image can be quite different with different supliers.

Love to get some input. How Sensitive is the barcode reader? Perhaps im just incompetent :)

Thanks

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Appliction for Validation

Post by Loïc » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:12 pm

Hi,

Please attach one image for investigation. I will give you feedback, you should be able to expect more than 99% of accuracy if you correctly use our barcode writer/reader.

Kind regards,

Loîc

knofan

Post by knofan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:54 pm

Dear Loïc

I have provided a few samples for you, images marked "No" the program does not find any bar codes in. This are just samples, the only shoe carton is the only one thats close to "real".

When i run the "Yes_two.jpg" image. It found two bar codes. But i can just see one in the image.

If its supposed to be like 99% accurate. Then im making something wrong :)
Attachments
Yes_two.jpg
no4.JPG
No.jpg

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:11 am

Hi,

First JPEG compression is just a bad option for OCR, OMR and barcode recognition. This is a lossless encoding scheme which create a lot of artifacts around characters & lines...

Then for your images:

The first 2 ones: They have not very good contrast. So you should threshold them using mid-level linear transformation. IE: object.ConvertTo1Bpp(m_ImageID, 125).
The third: The barcode is invalid or the encoding scheme is not supported by GdPicture. See supported type from https://www.gdpicture.com/products/plugi ... nition.php

Hope this helps !

Loïc