Use of the software

Questions about GdPicture.NET license agreement.
MaxP

Use of the software

Post by MaxP » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Hello,

in your license agreement in section 5.2 it is specified that it is not allowed to develop toolkits, APIs, libraries or components.
But in case I decide in favor of GdPicture, it will be part of a bigger solution. Therefore it will be included in its own component, which is a library that has an API defined in an interface, like it is supposed to be in a modern object oriented software project.
Now the question: is section 5.2 only meant for components, libraries, etc. that are made public individually or does it mean, that I have to basically reference the GdPicture dll from my main executable, because I’m not allowed to put it behind some kind of seam?

Thanks,
Max

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Use of the software

Post by Loïc » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:18 pm

Hello Max,

To make things clear for everyone here is the full 5.2 section:
GdPicture.NET may not be used to develop software toolkits, API, libraries, components, command line software or any kind of third party software, except as authorized in writing by a duly authorized officer of ORPALIS.
That said I do not understand your question "that are made public individually or does it mean, that I have to basically reference the GdPicture dll from my main executable, because I’m not allowed to put it behind some kind of seam?"

Basically the main purpose of this section is to prevent the development of competitive Imaging SDK based on GdPicture SDK. It also prevent company to acquire only one developer license that will be used by X other developers in the same company (or in customer offices) using a simple wrapper...

What I can suggest is to contact our sales team through our quick contact form: https://www.gdpicture.com/contact/contact-form.php

With best regards,

Loïc

h17415387

Post by h17415387 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:49 pm

Hi,

The scenario described here is also interesting for us.

What was the outcome of this request, or what was the decision here?

Thanks,
Hans

Hugo

Post by Hugo » Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:29 pm

Hi Hans,

The answer to this question is still the same as it was back in 2013.
GdPicture.NET may not be used to develop software toolkits, API, libraries, components, command line software or any kind of third party software, except as authorized in writing by a duly authorized officer of ORPALIS.

The above has not changed.

Regards,
Hugo Cudd
Technical Support

h17415387

Post by h17415387 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:20 am

Hi Hugo,

Thank you for the quick answer.

The license conditions are still comprehensible.

In this case, did Orpalis give the written permission?

Provided that in this case it's not about reselling an API for GdPicture functionality, but about using GdPicture centrally in a complex, multi-component business application.

Best regards,
Hans

Hugo

Post by Hugo » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:28 pm

Hans,

This depends on the use-case. I would suggest contacting our sales team to determine the strict guidelines for your specific use case given the topic being discussed here.

You can contact them here: https://www.gdpicture.com/contact-sales/

Regards,
Hugo Cudd
Technical Support