web based barcode recognition of scanned documents

Discussions about barcode reading and writing
bibbyusr

web based barcode recognition of scanned documents

Post by bibbyusr » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:31 am

Please Help!
I'm trying to create a document scanning web application that allows the user to scan in a number of scanned documents and sort them based on a separator sheet containing a barcode.
The barcode must be read at the point of scanning the sheet so that all subsequent sheets (until the next separator sheet) are named using the barcode value.
I have the html version of the viewer and have been able to scan the documents in to create multipage tiff files, but I am unable to implement the barcode recognition part.
The version given is for a C# windows app and I have tried to add it as server side code and call it from the client side at the point when a sheet is scanned and send it the ImageID created, but no barcode is found. I'm wondering if this is because the ID is no longer relevant server side. I have tested the sheet out using the C# windows app version given to see if it's the barcode, but that works fine.
Can someone please advise me as to where I am going wrong? Should I be doing it all through the client side, server side or both??

carine14

Re: web based barcode recognition of scanned documents

Post by carine14 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:43 am

As in OCR based document scanning software, barcode scanning software uses information on the scanned images themselves to name files and place them in the appropriate folders. However, OCR can sometimes incorrectly recognize certain words and phrases, especially when you are trying to scan at lower resolutions to reduce file size and scanning time. This results in having to perform validation and correction, which slows down the process. Barcodes condense all the necessary information in a format that is much easier for computers to decipher, even at lower resolutions, with almost 100% accuracy. This allows you to reduce file size and scanning time without the cost of additional validation and correction.