Support of WPF and Dot Net Upgrade Path

Let know to others if you liked or not GdPicture Imaging SDK Softwares.
tblack

Support of WPF and Dot Net Upgrade Path

Post by tblack » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:38 pm

I'm a great fan of your products and have been with you since 2008.

In light of the evolution of MS technology towards Dot Net and its increasing emphasis on its Windows Presentation Foundation, I was a bit surprised to see a relatively light level of emphasis in this area.

The Document Viewer appears to work only through WPF's facility to interoperate with Windows Forms.

The only way I have been able to see the Document Viewer control in a VS toolbox was by adding it in a windows forms, application. It's invisible in my WPF toolbox and the only way to get a handle on it in WPF is by inserting it in XAML code.

Do you have plans to provide a native WPF control in the next version?

Given the great Active-X product you had/have and the move of MS developers towards Dot Net, I was interested in seeing one sample or a full snippet of an Active-X approach to do something and how it is done in Dot Net. For instance, show how one would capture an image with a TWAIN scanner and view the capture in a GDViewer.

I saw one post where a customer asked for some guidance and the response from support was that it's done 95% the same way. It would have been much more helpful to ask the customer for a snippet and then for someone in your support team to whip up a functional equivalent in Dot Net. For them it would be trivial but new users would have to resort to spending potentially a lot of time on it.

I would be glad to provide a sample snippet for your team to show the Dot Net equivalent.

Looking forward to your response.

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Support of WPF and Dot Net Upgrade Path

Post by Loïc » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Hello,

About GdPicture ActiveX 5 to GdPicture.NET we do not provide migration documentation. The SDK is quite too big to cover all scenarios. That said, the object model is quite the same between these two "environment" so migration is usually done easily. If you encounter troubles we are here to help, on the forum or in the HelpDesk platform if you have a valid SLA.

About WPF we concentrate many development efforts to deliver native controls next year, including WPF specific features. Anyway the interoperability between GdPicture.NET winform controls and WPF is still possible and cover near 80% of our user needs. There is some hints on the WPF dedicated section of this forum.

Hope this brings some clarifications :)

With best regards,

Loïc

kathi

Re: Support of WPF and Dot Net Upgrade Path

Post by kathi » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:57 am

Thank you very very much for this feedback. I am happy to see that our technologies brought stability on your applications. Today, stable SDKs are our main priority next to performances & features.