Printing Large PDF documents (in size)

Discussions about document printing in GdPicture.NET using GdPictureImaging.
bpabmeyer

Printing Large PDF documents (in size)

Post by bpabmeyer » Wed May 28, 2014 9:52 pm

I am trying to print PDF documents that are large in size. Anywhere up to 24 x 36. I am trying to figure out how to print the large documents, as I need them to print in their original size. When I print them I am only getting the corner portion of the document (8.5 by 11). Even when I try to print from the Document Viewer example, I only get a portion of the large documents. I am working in VB.NET with the latest version of GDPicture. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Printing Large PDF documents (in size)

Post by Loïc » Thu May 29, 2014 10:21 am

Hello,

If you need to print a page document that is larger than the page size destination you have to use the PrintFit() or PrintDialogFit() method.

Please let me know if I am missing something.

With best regards,

Loïc Carrère

bpabmeyer

Post by bpabmeyer » Thu May 29, 2014 6:33 pm

Loic,

Unfortunately, I need to go the other way. The document might be 24x36 and I need it to print that large but it is only printing out the 8.5x11 corner portion of the document itself. I am trying to figure out a way to just print the document by the actual size of the document itself. I can't seem to find an "Auto Detect" or something to that effect. The printer will print anything up to 36x48 but I can't get the GDViewer to print anything that large. I know it is something that I am not doing but I am not sure what that might be. Thanks.

Bernie

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Thu May 29, 2014 6:50 pm

Hi,

That's a quite strange behavior.
Are you able to share a photo of the resulting document with a camera? :?
If yes, it would be great to open a ticket on the helpdesk by attaching both photo and input document used for printing.
Link: https://www.gdpicture.com/support/getting-support-from-our-team

Kind regards,

Loïc

bpabmeyer

Post by bpabmeyer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:01 pm

I apologize for the delay in response. Here is a copy of what is printing out. As I stated, I don't want to shrink it to fit as that works fine. My problem is actually printing the full size of the image. Thanks.

Bernie
Attachments
IMG_0793.JPG

bpabmeyer

Post by bpabmeyer » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Here is what the file actually looks like and what should actually be printed. Thanks.
Attachments
199938405.gif

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:02 pm

Hi,

I can't understand how you can obtain such result. My guess is your printer is configured to print to A4 format.

You should try to use the PrintSetPaperSize() method or check with your printer dialog box that correct paper format is selected. By the way, what is the return of a subsequent call to the PrintGetStat() method?

Kind regards,

Loïc Carrère

bpabmeyer

Post by bpabmeyer » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:54 pm

Loic,

I can't set the papersize, as there is only one size. The paper comes off a roll. The printer is a Canon iPF760. In looking at the settings after calling the PrintDialog, none of the settings are actually staying. Below is my code...

Dim oPDF As GdPicturePDF = New GdPicturePDF

oPDF.PrintSetActivePrinter(sPrinter)
oPDF.PrintSetCopies(1)
oPDF.PrintSetColorMode(PrinterColorMode.PrinterColorModeGray)
oPDF.PrintSetAutoRotation(True)
oPDF.PrintSetOrientation(PrinterOrientation.PrinterOrientationLandscape)

oPDF.PrintDialog()

Dim x As GdPicture10.GdPictureStatus = oPDF.PrintGetStat()

The PrintGetStat() call returns "OK". I will let you know that if I go in and manually set all the settings myself from the PrintDialog, it prints correctly. If I try and set the settings in code, it is not working. It spits out the partial printout. Thanks.

Bernie

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:57 pm

if I go in and manually set all the settings myself from the PrintDialog, it prints correctly. If I try and set the settings in code, it is not working.
This is probable the point. In your code you do not define page size. Which options are you setting in the dialog box? For each you should have an equivalent in the GdPicture methods.

Kind regards,

Loïc

bpabmeyer

Post by bpabmeyer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:38 pm

Loic,

When I get into the PrintDialog, I have to go into Preferences. I change the following settings...

Color - From Color to Monochrome
Orientation - From Portrait to Landscape
Rotate Page 90 degrees - From off to on
Page Size - From Letter (8.5 x 11) to various settings (ARCH C (18 x 24), ARCH D (24 x 36) or ARCH E (36 x 48)) depending on size of document.

I have tried to find the page size settings and can not find them. Also, it appears that the color, orientation and rotate page settings are not taking. If I go into the PrintDialog after I set those, they are not changed. I changed the code from using PDF to using the GDPictureImaging as I couldn't set the height/width in inches with the PDF settings. I will attach my code below. Thanks for all your help.

Code: Select all

If sPrinter = "" Then sPrinter = oGdPictureImaging.PrintGetActivePrinter

oGdPictureImaging.PrintSetActivePrinter(sPrinter)
        oGdPictureImaging.PrintSetCopies(1)
        oGdPictureImaging.PrintSetColorMode(PrinterColorMode.PrinterColorModeGray)
        oGdPictureImaging.PrintSetAutoRotation(True)
        oGdPictureImaging.PrintSetOrientation(PrinterOrientation.PrinterOrientationLandscape)

oGdPictureImaging.PrintDialog()

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:57 pm

Hi,
I have tried to find the page size settings and can not find them
Well if you don't specify the paper size it is normal that the printer outputs on the default A4...

There is some method in the SDK for doing that:

PrintSetUserPaperSize() <- This is probably the one you need.
PrintSetPaperSize()
PrintSetStdPaperSize()

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

Loïc

bpabmeyer

Post by bpabmeyer » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:19 pm

Loic,

I have tried the PrintSetUserPaperSize(). I will try the other two and let you know. Thanks.

Bernie

bpabmeyer

Post by bpabmeyer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:22 pm

This is what I finally went with. The PrintSetStdPaperSize() worked to some degree but cut off some of the document. I give them the PrintDialog() box and tell them what settings to set since I can't get anything to work correctly through code. Thanks for all your help.

Code: Select all

oGdPictureImaging.PrintSetActivePrinter(sPrinter)
        oGdPictureImaging.PrintDialog(m_ImageID)