TWAIN Acquisition with Windows 10 and GdPicture Version 9

Discussions about TWAIN & WIA scanning in GdPicture.NET using GdPictureImaging.
RNeall

TWAIN Acquisition with Windows 10 and GdPicture Version 9

Post by RNeall » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:35 pm

Are there any known issues using GDPicture 9.1.0.3 with Windows 10 scanner drivers?

We are have trouble with our entire application crashing when attempting to scan or acquire via TWAIN after an upgrade to Windows 10.

I personally doubt that the problem lies with our version of GdPicture, because some computers are working well with Windows 10. But two computers crash even though the latest drivers for Ambir Pro 820i scanner have been installed.

Thanks,

Randy Neall

RNeall

Re: TWAIN Acquisition with Windows 10 and GdPicture Version

Post by RNeall » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:33 pm

The problem may be that the GdPicture is simply not finding the driver. Where does Select Scanner store the scanner selection setting?

RNeall

Post by RNeall » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:28 am

Here's the answer. First, GdPicture 9 works with Windows 10. But the machine in question had been upgraded from some prior version of Windows. This resulted in c:\windows\system32\TwainDSM.DLL landing in some strange state, where it could not be seen in the folder, nor could it be listed with a Dir command from the command prompt, but nonetheless was still there, but not operable.

When GdPicture loads a DSM (Data Source Manager), it first looks for TwainDSM.dll in System32. If that file does not exist, it then looks for Twain_32.dll in c:\windows. I discovered this by repeatedly testing using the TwainSetDSMPath method. The inoperable tainDSM.dll prevented GdPicture from try to load Twain_32.dll, thus causing our app to hang.

The scanner tech support (Ambir) said that in their experience, upgrading to 10 from earlier versions of windows is a total crapshoot, where one can get all kinds of strange behavior.

Our solution, in this case, will be to have a special setting on that computer that forces GdPicture to use twain_32.dll without first probing for TwainDSM.dll. It's that or insist that the client re-install Windows 10 on a clean machine, from scratch. Because we can't seem to rid ourselves of the phantom TwainDSM.dll.

By the way, if your app, which contains GdPictureImaging, is exhibiting strange behavior, use the sample app provided by GdPicture to test at client site. That's what I did, and how I traced this issue to its cause.

Just thought I'd put this out there for next poor chump that stumbles into what took me a long time to figure out.

Randy Neall

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Thank you very much for the update Randy. This is highly appreciated!

Cheers,

Loïc

tehilY

Re: TWAIN Acquisition with Windows 10 and GdPicture Version 9

Post by tehilY » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:52 pm

How can I set on my computer that forces GdPicture to use twain_32.dll without first probing for TwainDSM.dll?