Barcode cannot be read

Discussions about barcode reading and writing
EFernkaes

Barcode cannot be read

Post by EFernkaes » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:25 am

Hello GDPicture Team,

I just downloaded the latest Version of GDPicture.NET 12.0.40 but the problem still persists:
The following Barcode will return no result. It is even not recognized as a barcode by your software.
http://Reinhard-Bayer.de/Upload/NurBarcode.jpg

Other barcode engines like Pegasus or online barcode reader (like https://online-barcode-reader.inliteresearch.com) will return the correct result.

If I edit the Image and remove all text around the barcode, the barcode will be read:
http://Reinhard-Bayer.de/Upload/NurBarc ... adable.jpg

Strangely, on an other Image, which has the same text in the same distance around the barcode (which is slightly different in ist content), the barcode is read:
http://Reinhard-Bayer.de/Upload/NurBarcodeReadable.jpg

Can you help?
Thanks a lot
Reinhard

Costinel

Re: Barcode cannot be read

Post by Costinel » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:50 am

Hello,

Thank you for pointing this to us, I have been able to reproduce the described issue.
I have transmitted the images to the development team, I will get back to you as soon as I have news.

Regards,
Costinel Mitrea
GdPicture Team

EFernkaes

Post by EFernkaes » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:26 pm

Hello GDPicture-team,

are there any news in this matter?

We need to know, if GDPicture is reliable in this special topic of PDF417-barcode recognition.

The biggest German Banking Union - called Sparkasse - will switch to this Barcode. So unread barcodes would be unacceptable for us if they can easily proof, that every low-cost mobile app can read the 2D Barcode but our programming toolbox can't.

Thank you in advance for your answer...

Reinhard

Costinel

Post by Costinel » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:10 am

Hi,

We have identified the problem in processing your images. A fix for this issue will be scheduled soon.
I'll notice you when the release with the fix will be available for download.

Best regards,
Costinel Mitrea

EFernkaes

Post by EFernkaes » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:45 pm

Hello Costinel and GDPicture-team.

might be that we are alone with our problem described above with the PDF417 Barcode recognition since we are the leading digitizing service provider in Germany for the banking sector. But the German "Sparkassen" banking system is using the PDF417 barcode step by step more and more in future, so the problem will arise more often.

The PDF417-engine in version 12 is not reliable.
I have meanwhile over one hundred examples of images, which weren't recognized as PDF417 barcode in version 12 but in version 11.
Version 11 had other problems like unstable execution of the ".ReadBarcode" method with not foreseeable exceptions, but if it didn't crash, the quality of read barcodes were perfect.

Version 12 doesn't even recognize, that there is a Barcode on the page.

I have been waiting now for over 6 month for a solution. So you cannot say that I am very impatient. I always bought and paid the last major releases of GDPicture. But now I am at a point, where I have to know, if GDPicture is the right tool for us, to handle our jobs for German banks anymore or if I must look for a more reliable engine in barcode recognition.

So please let me know, if there will be a solution for the PDF417 Problem with GDPciture soon.

Thank you very much in advance.

Costinel

Post by Costinel » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 am

Hi,

The problem with the images you post here is known, and the development team is working on finding the best solution for the bug.
In order to keep the confidentiality of your images, please open a support ticket, at https://support.orpalis.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit/, and make sure you include as many images with the PDF417 barcodes not read as you may share.

After that we will be able to identify the problem(s) and find a solution for your project, and have this solution tested with a relevant set of images.
Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,
Costinel

Costinel

Post by Costinel » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:02 am

Hi,

The development team has found a solution for your images, it is currently tested using all the PDF417 images we have.
Please send us those 100+ images which weren't recognized as PDF417 barcode in version 12, to be tested using this solution.
To keep the confidentiality of your images, please open a support ticket: https://support.orpalis.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

We are appreciating your cooperation on this.

Best regards,
Costinel Mitrea

EFernkaes

Post by EFernkaes » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 am

Hello Costinel,

good to hear These News.

I asked my IT to upload several of the barcode-Images. They did it on Friday at about 09:40. Approx. 20 images which they had to blacken for confidential purpooses.

Thanks in advance.

Cedric

Post by Cedric » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:47 am

Hello,

I confirm that the images have been received through our support platform and transmitted to the development team for analysis.

Regards,

EFernkaes

Post by EFernkaes » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:20 pm

And? Any conclusion?

Costinel

Post by Costinel » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:28 am

Hi,

As I answered in the support platform, the development team is working on a solution for all the PDF417 barcode in your images, it is in the roadmap for the next major release.

Best regards,
Costinel Mitrea

David

Post by David » Tue May 09, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi,

We have just released released a brand new major version of the SDK: GdPicture.NET 14. This new version perfectly reads the barcodes in these images.

Regards,

David

EFernkaes

Post by EFernkaes » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Hello GDPicture Team,

we upgrded to version 14 but we still have massive problems with unrecognized barcodes.

Just 2 of many cases.

GDPicture doesn't find a barcode, other engines do!

Please help
Thank you

EFernkaes

Post by EFernkaes » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:01 pm

I was missing a slash in the Image link in my previous post,

here the correct link to the Images which can't be read by GDPicture V14

http://alt.infoscan.de/GDPicture/Image1.jpg
http://alt.infoscan.de/GDPicture/Image2.jpg

EFernkaes

Post by EFernkaes » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:23 am

Hallo Orphalis.Team,

any news on this issue?
I could provide you with about 50 and more PDF14 documents since the last 10 days where this problem appeared, and these are the figures which apply only to one single customer.

We hesitate to use your software more deeply and for more projects since we cannot rely on the barcode recognition results.

We are still using a software bundle, which was stopped devellopping for about 7 years as a backup for the barcode recognition process, preventing us to transform our software to 64bit. But These were the main reasons, that we upgraded to your version 14: the solved PDF14 recognition problems.
And now, we had to realize, that we still cannot rely on this feature. To be honest, we never could. Your product couldn't identify the PDF14 Barcode exeactly since we started with your product with version 11 while others could. We already suffered many troubles from our customer till we realized this fact and this is not my first post to this matter.
So you must have general problem in your basic approach to the Point of PDF14 recognition.
Alas, in Germany, the "Sparkassen" (the greatest banking groups in Germany) changed their formerly Code39/Code128 barcode to PDF14 since one year.
So earlier or later, you will run in this problem with more than on of your customers.

Please send me an answer. If you will not be able, to provide a solution in the next 2 weeks, it will be OK then. We will have to change to other software products than yours then. But please let us know if or what will happen, that we can make future plans with our devellopping team.

Thank you very much