Removing Checksum of a Barcode (Reading)

Discussions about barcode reading and writing
Sephir

Removing Checksum of a Barcode (Reading)

Post by Sephir » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:56 pm

Hello Everybody,

just a short Question: Is it possible to remove the checksum of a Barcode (reading) ? Im using the new GDPicture14. Im reading different Barcodes and now, we have a situation where it is necessary to remove the checksum of a 1D Barcode. I have the function "Barcode1DReaderBarcodeHasChecksum()", but this is only for clarifing IF there is a Checksum. Is there a way to remove a Checksum by GDPicture, so we have an String result without the Checksum ?

Kind regards,

Matt

Costinel

Re: Removing Checksum of a Barcode (Reading)

Post by Costinel » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:26 am

Hi Sephir,

Our barcode reader returns the result including the checksum if it is present. Currently you don't have the possibility to retrieve the barcode info without the checksum character(s).
Removing the checksum depends on the barcode type you are reading. For example, Code 39 has an optional 1-digit checksum at the end of the data, Code 93 has a mandatory 2-digits cheksum, Codabar has no checksum at all.
Please let me know exactly what types of barcodes you are reading so I may advise you how to remove the cheksum.

Best regards,
Costinel Mitrea
GdPicture Team

Sephir

Re: Removing Checksum of a Barcode (Reading)

Post by Sephir » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:43 pm

Hello Costinel,

im Reading nearly every type of Checksum ;) One Customer had the needs to remove the 2digits checksum in the end. In order to do that, i added some (configurable) regex-postprocessing for results (in this case snip the last two digits). For the customer it is working, but thats not a nice solution (more a workaround). Right now, there's no urgent need have this option. But in case another Barcode without Checksum is provided, my workaround also cuts the last two digits.
It would be a cool feature for GDPicture SDK to read either the whole Barcode+ checksum or only the Barcode without the Checksum.

Anyways,

thanks for the reply,

Matt / Sephir