Annotations - keep recent settings

Discussions about DocuVieware integration in GdPicture.NET.
igor

Annotations - keep recent settings

Post by igor » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:19 pm

We are building an ASP.NET MVC application for viewing documents stored in our eDMS repository. We would like to let our users to create some annotations and publish such annotated documents as new versions.

Unfortunately, we noticed issue with keeping the annotation settings. For example, user opens one document, creates annotation with some custom settings, closes current document, opens another one, and tries to create the same annotation. The recently used settings are not preserved, so the user needs to fill them again. This dramatically reduces performance of users who need to annotate tens of documents in row.

We would like to store settings of recently used annotations and restore them when next document is opened. Settings should be kept separately for each user.

I was thinking about registering on annotation added/edited event, executing JS custom action with annotation ID in params, reading all properties of annotation on the server-side and storing them in DB. Unfortunately, I didn't find any server-side method which could let me to set default properties for a given annotation type. I found only the JavaScript function SetAnnotPropertiesValues. However, using it seems to be complicated because I would need to implement mappings between .NET Annotation object stored in DB and JSON object accepted by SetAnnotPropertiesValues function. Also, maintenance of such mappings would require additional effort every time we update your component.

Could you advise me how to, in the easiest way, read properties of the recently added/edited annotation and reload them when opening a different document? If there is no easier way than I described above, do you plan to implement some facilities in this area in the future?

igor

Re: Annotations - keep recent settings

Post by igor » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:32 pm

I'm picking up this topic since we would really like to get answers to posted questions. In our next release we are planning to implement many improvements in the annotations area of our web document viewer. Idea of keeping recent annotation settings is one of them.

Cedric

Re: Annotations - keep recent settings

Post by Cedric » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:36 pm

I was thinking about registering on annotation added/edited event, executing JS custom action with annotation ID in params, reading all properties of annotation on the server-side and storing them in DB. Unfortunately, I didn't find any server-side method which could let me to set default properties for a given annotation type. I found only the JavaScript function SetAnnotPropertiesValues. However, using it seems to be complicated because I would need to implement mappings between .NET Annotation object stored in DB and JSON object accepted by SetAnnotPropertiesValues function. Also, maintenance of such mappings would require additional effort every time we update your component.
I'm not sure to understand what you exactly want to achieve here. All the default annotations properties are documented with their type and value and we also provide methods to set them to whatever you need as well as reset them to default. Because .NET and JS do not have the same types, a mapping system is not optional and will have to be implemented at some point. This kind of custom requirement requires a custom implementation and I believe that everything required to implement such as system is already provided in DocuVieware.

Those properties and values does not change because we obviously have to guarantee backward compatibility, I don't understand what effort you're talking about when you update our component since it is supposed to be a simple remplacement.