Barcode Skew Angle Detection

Discussions about barcode reading and writing
CB1

Barcode Skew Angle Detection

Post by CB1 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:13 pm

We are trying to use GdPicture 14 to detect the exact barcode skew angle for a feature that rotates an entire image so that the barcode is right-side up on the image. We are trying to use the Barcode1DReaderGetBarcodeSkewAngle() call, but we are finding that this call is not returning the exact skew angle in all cases.

For example, if the barcode is perfectly horizontal on the image, whether right-side up or upside down, the call is returning a 0 degree skew. We would expect the upside down barcode to return a 180 degree skew so that we can then rotate the image 180 degrees to make the barcode right-side up in this case. We are finding that this is the same case for other barcode orientations as well, where we are getting the same skew angle for two different orientations, making it seemly impossible for us to know how to rotate the image with this library to get the barcode right-side up. We have tested so far with I2of5 and Code39 1D barcodes and have this issue with both barcode symbologies.

Is the Barcode1DReaderGetBarcodeSkewAngle meant to just give a general indication of the skew rather then the exact angle? Is there any way to get the exact barcode skew angle with the GdPicture library?

Costinel

Re: Barcode Skew Angle Detection

Post by Costinel » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:22 am

Hi,

If I'm not mistaken, you wrote to our support with the same question. Like I already answered there, please make sure you are using the latest version, which is now 14.0.68 (because we have fixed an issue with the skew angle a few months ago). If the problem persists, please provide us at least the images/documents that shows this issue, so we may reproduce it.

Best regards,
Costinel Mitrea

CB1

Re: Barcode Skew Angle Detection

Post by CB1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 am

Thanks, that resolved the issue.