PDF signature compliance related to PAdeS/EIDAS standards

Discussions about PDF management.
elenad

PDF signature compliance related to PAdeS/EIDAS standards

Post by elenad » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:52 pm

Hello

I use GDPicture 14.1.0.38 and I have read that for PDF 2 applied signatures are " based on the PAdES/CAdES standards and ECC-based certificates." (https://www.gdpicture.com/blog/pdf-2-support/) What about signatures added to other PDF formats (1.4 or 1.5 for example). Are they also compliant to those standards? What about the eSignature standards stated here (https://ec.europa.eu/cefdigital/wiki/di ... eSignature)?
Are they also supported in version 14.1.0.38 and how such compliance be achieved using ApplySignature method. I suppose that 2nd parameter (PdfSignatureMode) could deal with that and i suppose that PdfSignatureModeAdobeCADES is CAdES compliant but what about the other 2 parameters? Are they conforming to PAdeS/EIDAS standards too?

Regards,
Elena

Matus

Re: PDF signature compliance related to PAdeS/EIDAS standards

Post by Matus » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi Elena,

PDF does not restrict use of different types of signature handlers used in older verions (1.4, 1.5 etc.). PAdES/CAdES was added to the PDF 2.0 specification to make sure all conforming readers/creators will be able to work with the specification. But those standards have been used in PDF before (CAdES) and later standardized (PAdES) in one of PDF 1.7 (ISO 32000-1) Extensions. So you can use PAdES/CAdES with older PDF versions.
PDFSignatureMode PdfSignatureModeAdobeCADES uses Adobe.PPKLite filter and ETSI.CAdES.detached subfilter which is salso used by PAdES so the process should be CAdES/PAdES conformant. PdfSignatureModeAdobePPKLite and PdfSignatureModeAdobePPKMS use different filter/subfilter combination and are not PAdeS/EIDAS conformant.