Different coordinates on PDF and TIF files

Discussions about document viewing.
DBr

Different coordinates on PDF and TIF files

Post by DBr » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi,

I have the following problem: The mouse and viewer coordinates in TIF files work fine, but when the opened file is a PDF, the resulting coordinates differ. I have a label which shows the coordinates of the mouse pointer in the document.

For example: the viewer loads a PDF with bestFit. Here I move the pointer down to the bottom and the label says, lets say, Y=500. Now, when I zoom in to double the size, I scroll down to the bottom, move the pointer over the bottom line and the label says Y=1000. As I said, this only happens on PDF files. With TIF files the label gives me always the same coordinates, no matter what zoom mode is chosen (as I think it should be).

Why are the coordinates handled differently and how can I convert them? I think there are no methods to get the coordinates in pixel for PDF.

Thanks for any help

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Different coordinates on PDF and TIF files

Post by Loïc » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:28 pm

Hi,

PDF is a vector format with user space coordinates & TIFF a raster format with Pixel coordinates.

What I can suggest you is to use Inches coordinates according to the following formula. This will works with both image & PDF formats:

Code: Select all

Dim WidthInches As Double = GdViewer1.PageWidth / GdViewer1.HorizontalResolution
Dim HeightInches As Double = GdViewer1.PageHeight / GdViewer1.VerticalResolution
Let me know if you need more information.

Loïc

DBr

Re: Different coordinates on PDF and TIF files

Post by DBr » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:47 pm

Thanks for the help, I solved the problem.

The tricky thing was that I had to create regions based on pixel coordinates and I was a bit confused about the changing resolution. But with the DPI count of the document and your suggested formula it can be converted