Does OCR work with JPEG or BMP image format??

Discussions about machine vision support in GdPicture.
Bauzi

Does OCR work with JPEG or BMP image format??

Post by Bauzi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi,
We are evaluating GdPicture.Net with OCR PlugIn in order to use it in our development activity.
Running your sample C# OCR we can OCR only the TIFF format and not the other image formats (like JPEG or BMP), but transform it to a PDF file the sample runs well enough.
The images are created from a screen shot. Is this the problem? But the same images are correctly OCR by another OCR engine.
For us is important to understand if GdPicture.Net is usefull o not to our development because we'll be able to support the OCR process for all kind of image formats.
To help you to undarstand our problem, I attach an image file that GdPicture doesn't OCR.
Thanks
Anna
Attachments
FatturaSnipped.JPG

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Does OCR work with JPEG or BMP image format??

Post by Loïc » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi,

The OCR can work wit all image format supported by GdPciture technology: https://www.gdpicture.com/solutions/Image-Formats.php

For JPEG, the accuracy can decrease because this format destroy some data especially characters ! So I suggest you to use high quality compression rate for JPEG.

Also, print-screen usually provide very good quality image but too low resolution for image analysis (90 DPI). What I can suggest you is to scale the image before starting OCR process. In GdPicture.NET this can easily be done using the Scale() method.

IE:

Code: Select all

oGdPictureImaging.Scale(ImageID, 200, Drawing2D.InterpolationMode.HighQualityBicubic)
A simple call to this function can considerably multiply the accuracy of the engine. Also, there is a lot of pre-processing function which can help you to gain quality. You can discover these functions browsing the reference guide or trying the code sample provided in our package.

Hope this helps !

With best regards,

Loïc Carrère

Bauzi

Re: Does OCR work with JPEG or BMP image format??

Post by Bauzi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Thank you Loïc. Now my sample works better.
Anna