Tesseract OCR Thread Safe

Discussions about machine vision support in GdPicture.
csinkinson

Tesseract OCR Thread Safe

Post by csinkinson » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:03 pm

Hi Loic,

Bumped into a small problem while using the OCR engine:

Code: Select all

OCR exception at step 201: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.Source: mscorlibStackTrace:    at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)   at Ꮺ.ᣯ.᣾(Int32 ᣿, Int32 ᤀ, Int32 ᤁ, Int32 ᤂ, Int32 ᤃ, TesseractDictionary ᤄ, String ᤅ, String ᤆ, IntPtr& ᤇ, Int32& ᤈ, Int32 ᤉ)
I think this is related to the OCR Engine not being Thread-Safe. I noticed some other posts in the forum mentioning that work is in progress to make the OCR Engine thread-safe. Do you have any estimated dates for release?

Also, any tips or suggestions on how I could work around this issue? (Any tricks I can use) Essentially, I have a large OCR process running in the background and I want to give users the ability to Zone OCR areas at the same time.

My app is in ASP.net VB.

Thanks!
Chris

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Tesseract OCR Thread Safe

Post by Loïc » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:32 am

Hi Chris,

GdPicture Tesseract Plugin can not yet be started in multiprocess mode. There is no workaround for your issue excepted to use the SDK in a single thread.

Today I am not able to give an estimation of the date of release of the multithread compatible version. I just hope we will be able to fix it very soon...

With best regards,

Loïc