GdPicture.Net ocr on mobile device

Discussions about machine vision support in GdPicture.
mayanka

GdPicture.Net ocr on mobile device

Post by mayanka » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Hi,
Can GdPicture.net be used to OCR an image taken from a mobile phone? Also is the dll compatible with a mobile phone environment?
I created a windows mobile app and referenced GdPicture.net. But I was not able to deploy the app on a mobile device since it ran out of memory due to GdPicture.net.
But when I removed GdPicture.net from references, then the app deployed without any issues.
Any thoughts on what is going wrong.

Thanks

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: GdPicture.Net ocr on mobile device

Post by Loïc » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:20 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately we don not provide SDK compatible with mobile phone. We have no plan for that.

Kind regards,

Loïc

mayanka

Post by mayanka » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi,

I was able to achieve this by creating an OCR webservice and calling the webservice from the mobile device.
The quality of OCR result is not very good in this case. I believe its due to the image quality from the phone.
The phone I'm using has a 3.2MP camera. Is there some preprocessing of the images that could improve the OCR quality?
Also since there is no standard image taken, is it possible for the system to identify what preprocessing is required?

Thanks
-Mayank

TimB

Post by TimB » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:44 pm

mayanka wrote:Hi,

I was able to achieve this by creating an OCR webservice and calling the webservice from the mobile device.
The quality of OCR result is not very good in this case. I believe its due to the image quality from the phone.
The phone I'm using has a 3.2MP camera. Is there some preprocessing of the images that could improve the OCR quality?
Also since there is no standard image taken, is it possible for the system to identify what preprocessing is required?

Thanks
-Mayank
I've done this too, and this worked good.
Some items to check, do you have auto-focus on your camera? If not, there's no way you'll get a good ocr result.
Also a good way is to convert the image to black&white and play with the threshold, images taken with the camera are often darker, so with a good threshold you'll have a nice ocr-output.

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:56 pm

We included a very strong adaptive threshold method in latest version. Di you tried it ?

Loïc