Can't rotate a high resolution TIFF.

Discussions about document viewing.
Nafets

Can't rotate a high resolution TIFF.

Post by Nafets » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Loïc,

I have a little problem, I have a TIFF image which can't be rotated, and I think it's because of its big resolution (9952x14047).
I tried to rotate it with one of the sample projects available when I installed GdPicture - Annotation - and it doesn't seem to work too.
In fact, when I try to rotate this TIFF, it's like it's reloading the image.
When I try to rotate a TIFF image with a lower resolution (for example: 9935x7040), the rotations work.

So, do GdViewer has a limit or maybe I am missing something?

Kind regards,

Nafets

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Can't rotate a high resolution TIFF.

Post by Loïc » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:55 am

Hi,

The limitation is the quantity of memory that your operating system can provide to the component.

So, to handle such huge images I suggest to target your app to AnyCPU or to x64 processor.

Also, ensure yourself to don't have memory leak on your app.

Kind regards,

Loïc

Nafets

Post by Nafets » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Loïc,

Thanks for your response!
Indeed, my computer is using a 32-bits processor, I tested my app on a W7 64-bits and the rotations seem to work, but the memory used doubles in size (from 500kB to 1MB, and then it's back to 500 kB), is this what you call a memory leak? I started to program in VB only a few months ago, so I don't know how to handle this, do you have any suggestion? Besides, is there any way to rotate these kind of TIFF images on a 32-bits processor? I set DisplayQualityAuto on true to zoom and rotate quicker, but it doesn't seem to work for huge TIFF images, and to rotate images, I use - simply enough - the Rotate function, is there anything I need to do in addition to this?

My best regards,

Nafets

EDIT: Setting OptimizeDrawingSpeed on false makes the rotation possible, but obviously the display becomes slower.

SamiKharma

Post by SamiKharma » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:43 pm

Hi,
No, this is not a memory leak, a memory leak would be if it went up to 1MB and did not go back.
As to the processor, you need to use 64-bit because the image is big and will require enough memory to rotate it.

Best Regards,
Sami Kharma
GdPicture Support Team Member