Upgrade path for COM Interop applications

Discussions about GdPicture.NET usage in non managed applications built in vb6, Delphi, vfp, MFC c++ etc...
justcode

Upgrade path for COM Interop applications

Post by justcode » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Hi,
Once you install the .NET assemblies (ex: 8.0) and use the COM interop interface for that version, will the same COM interop interface work with the newer .NET assemblies (ex: 8.2) or is each COM interop DLL locked to a specific version of the .NET assembly? I am trying to figure out how to update the Library without having to recompile all my applications. The ActiveX interfaces was backwards compatible so there was no issue updating the OCX control, how do we do it with .NET using COM Interop in my MFC/C++ applications?

I currently install the .NET and COM Interop files under "..\Common Files\Our Company\" and register the .NET files with the GAC and register the COM Interop DLL from there. All the other dlls from the package is put into System32 directory.

Could you explain the best way to update the assemblies with existing applications.

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Upgrade path for COM Interop applications

Post by Loïc » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:46 am

Hi Paul,

Currently you have to recompile your whole application. But starting to GdPicture.NET 8.2.1 we will keep same class ID & interface ID for exported COM objects.
So I think a simple xcopy will be possible without recompilation. This will must be confirmed...

Kind regards,

Loïc

justcode

Re: Upgrade path for COM Interop applications

Post by justcode » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks,
that is great news and will help out with the upgrade path, not having to re-generate new COM wrappers and recompile the apps each time we want to use the new versions is a big help. If new functions are added and we need them, then we can regenerate the new wrappers, else use the old ones.

Thanks again...