AutoDeskew actually making things worse

Discussions about image processing and document imaging.
blewis

AutoDeskew actually making things worse

Post by blewis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:15 am

I am using gdPicture to do OMR processing on some scanned forms. I added an AutoDeskew line, figuring it would help the overall process and tidy things up before I started finding the anchors and doing the OMR. However, I was noticing that some of the images were too skewed to OMR accurately. After some trial-and-error, I discovered that in some cases, the AutoDeskew method itself was making things worse (more skewed).

Line in Code:

oGdPictureImaging.AutoDeskew(_scanImageId, 10)

Attached you will find the original scan and the post-deskew scan. I have edited out the middle (content) portions of these images because of the private nature of the project, but you get the point (there is not a lot of text in this content area anyway...mostly its for student response). The original is clearly less skewed than the post-autodeskew image. Any ideas? I would like to have deskewing occur, but only if it actually helps. :)
Attachments
1052__173_skew_edited.png
Post autodeskew
1052__173_orig_edited.png
Original

SamiKharma

Re: AutoDeskew actually making things worse

Post by SamiKharma » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:46 pm

Hi,
I have downloaded your image and tried the line of code and do not get the resulting image you are getting.
Hence, pleas update to the latest version of GdPicture 8, and I think that shall solve your problem. If not, please inform us of such.

Best Regards,
Sami Kharma
GdPicture Support Team Member

blewis

Re: AutoDeskew actually making things worse

Post by blewis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:54 pm

Ok, thanks for checking. I am almost on the latest version (just one minor rev back). I will update and play around with it a bit. I have quite a few other operations going on in the same code. Perhaps they are causing some issue as well. If I can continue to replicate this issue, I will post again.

Bryan