Converting with ICC Profile

Discussions about image processing and document imaging.
BCWGuy

Converting with ICC Profile

Post by BCWGuy » Fri May 31, 2013 10:56 pm

I had asked this question previously after we purchased the GDPicture 5 control. We are now looking into purchasing the .Net component for 3 developers. Any examples or guidance here would be helpful:

What we want to do is perform the same type of ICC color profile conversion that Photoshop does:

1. Open a TIF image that has an AdobeRGB ICC Profile embedded in it.
2. Convert (not assign) the image to an sRGB ICC profile.
3. Save the image to a new TIF file, now with an embedded sRGB ICC profile.

Note that there is a big difference between 'Assign' a profile, and 'Convert to' profile. Just doing an assign will mess up the colors in an obvious manner. We are aware that in some cases, converting from AdobeRGB to sRGB may still show some color change, but that small amount of color change is acceptable (unlike color changes when 'assigning').

Another program besides Photoshop that is able to convert these profiles is the tifficc executable that is part of LittleCMS.

Looking at gdPicture again, method like "ICCAddProfileToFile" seem to just do the 'Assign' logic, and don't actually adjust/convert the image (and therefore the colors are changed very noticeably).

Note: I asked a similar question here back on November 3, 2011.

Here is an example of what the ICCAddProfileToFile results look like (which are unacceptable):
Thanks in advance

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Converting with ICC Profile

Post by Loïc » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:01 pm

Hello,

ICC profile attachment and color correction is not fully supported in V9. But it will be in V10 (already done within our internal build).
We should start a Beta program very soon, I think you will be really happy with the result...
We will send a newsletter about the beta program availability so I suggest you to subscribe it if it is not already done. Registration link: https://www.gdpicture.com/subscription/n ... scribe.php

With best regards,

Loïc

BCWGuy

Post by BCWGuy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Thank you for replying. I will give the beta a test if I can. But just so that I make sure I understand your previous email, you think that I *won't* be happy with the results of ICC conversion in release 10?

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:44 pm

damn I meant "you will be happy" of course :)

BCWGuy

Post by BCWGuy » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Ok, that is good to hear, thanks. I will check the announcements, but do you have any idea when version 10 will be released for purchase and/or beta?

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:17 pm

I hope a beta within one month, the final release is planned for the 1rst September.

BCWGuy

Post by BCWGuy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:08 pm

Thanks again for your assistance. I've had some time to test out gdPicture.Net 10 beta for our needs.

In regards to my initial question: How to convert (not just assigned) from one profile to another, I'm still not sure how to do it. I see the same methods available for adding or removing a profile, but nothing that allows the conversion from one profile to another. Again, I refer back to how Photoshop does it (in my original post).

So: How do I *convert* a tiff file from one ICC profile to another, with color results that come close to what Photoshop does?

Note that I have other issues with the ICC profile handling, which I have placed into the Beta forums.

Thanks in advance

rromeijn

Post by rromeijn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:49 pm

What is the solution to the above problem?
i have the same question