.NET Multi-threading Support

General discussions about GdPicture.NET.
mlavie

.NET Multi-threading Support

Post by mlavie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi,

Is the GdPicture .NET SDK thread-safe? By that I mean, not only is there no risk of threading errors (racing conditions, etc.), but also that requests are not queued serially - thus temporarily blocking each other.

For example, .NET GDI+ is "sort of" thread-safe, as there are not racing conditions, etc., but the different threads can (and do!) temporarily block each other when certain methods (such as Image.Save()) are called. Thus, Locks are required. I want a solution which performs true multi-threading, concurrent processing - without need of locks.

TIA,

mlavie

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: .NET Multi-threading Support

Post by Loïc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:38 pm

Hello mlavie,

Some rare functions of the SDK (based on GDI+) still uses threading locking mechanism. Especially for image drawing and resizing purpose. This is about something 5% of the features of the SDK and this should come close to 0% in future releases. Other functions do not use such mechanism so the SDK can be considered as 95% ok for tasks parallelism purpose. In all cases, it is safe to use the SDK from multiple threads with the expectation to have no threading error.

Let me know if you need further information.

With best regards,

Loïc