Saving as PDF - File size issues

Discussions about image processing and document imaging.
clocklear

Saving as PDF - File size issues

Post by clocklear » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:16 pm

I'm capturing multipage documents (anywhere from 5-30 pages) into a single PDF and I have found that a good tradeoff between size and quality can be achieved with the following settings:

AutoBrightness = true
AutomaticBorderDetection = true
AutomaticDeskew = true
CurrentBitDepth = 2
CurrentPixelType = 1
CurrentResolution = 130

This produces PDFs that average about 6-8mb (for 10-25 pages). I can live with that, but rarely it produces PDFs that are a whopping 50-75mb!! The 75mb one I have only has 20 pages and it looks no different from the others. Any suggestions?

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Saving as PDF - File size issues

Post by Loïc » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Hi,

The PDF compression require the zlibwapi.dll. This dll is wrapper within the gdpicturepro4.ocx and are automatically exported to your operation system when it is required.

However, the export can fail within restricted OS. In this case it become impossible to compress the PDF data.

I suggest you to download the zlibwapi.dll library from https://www.gdpicture.com/ressources/redist/optional/ and copy it into the %windows%\system32 directory.

Best regards,

Loïc Carrère

clocklear

Post by clocklear » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:11 pm

Wouldn't this cause all the PDFs from that machine to be huge? The problem I am referring to happens to random machines (my executable is installed on about 10) and not every time. Happens about 1 every 100 pdfs.

JNewhouse

Post by JNewhouse » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:02 pm

where did you set those settings (AutoBrightness, AutoBorderDetection, etc)?? is that within the GDViewer control?? i don't see those properties listed in the help file...

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi,

I was unable to reproduce this behaviour. However we added few improvement into the last minor release.

Maybe you problem will go away with this edition: http:www/gdpicture.com/download.php

Regards,

Loïc