Error with PdfReaderGetPageCount and PDFviewer

Discussions about PDF management.
epusineri

Error with PdfReaderGetPageCount and PDFviewer

Post by epusineri » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:31 pm

Hi

I've using at my job "GdPicture.NET Document Imaging SDK" version 6.7.3 flawlessly since mid 2010, mostly the gdViewer component oriented to view PDFS, and the PdfReader methods inside GdPictureImaging class.

Big was our surprise when the attached PDF to this post, using code similar to:
Dim hPDF As Integer = ggGdPicture.PdfReaderLoadFromFile(PDF_PATH)
Dim numPags as Integer = ggGdPicture.PdfReaderGetPageCount(hPDF)
ggGdPicture.PdfReaderCloseDocument(hPDF)
THAT particular PDF reported as having 40 (forty) pages.

But if we open it with Adobe Reader, Foxit Reader, PDFTK, even with "Document Viewer Demo" in a gdPicture version 10 downloaded trial, it reports having 41 (forty one) pages !!!

I'm talking over one a half MILLION Pdfs processed with that application, and no problem at all, until THAT Pdf.

Close examination of such PDF, with Adobe Reader and also with a viewer built with PDFviewer, the one that we really use (built with version 6.7.3), shows that page 20 (which really exists), IT SIMPLY DESAPPEARS from the PDF, it's not shown anywhere, the opening action does not signal any error, and the visualization gets only as far as page 40 (forty).

Could somebody give me some hints?, it's REALLY important for us and our customers to TRUST the information provided by the application (powered by the SDK), even some kind of nasty shown error would be preferable to a silently given WRONG information.

Cedric

Re: Error with PdfReaderGetPageCount and PDFviewer

Post by Cedric » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:54 am

GdPicture 6 has been discontinued for a long time now and the PDF handling has been greatly enhanced since then.
The only thing I can suggest is to try the latest GdPicture.NET revision (V10 branch) to check if your file is correctly handled. If not, please open a technical support ticket with the required information for us to investigate.