Colors aren't the same as original

Discussions about PDF management.
BigSteve

Colors aren't the same as original

Post by BigSteve » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:34 pm

I apologize if this should be in the PDF forums, but it is more of an image thing in my mind.

Our art department creates some images that are sent to the printer as PDF's. I was tasked with creating an application that would take those PDF's and copy the image so that the output would be two images per page. The process was rather simple and I was very proud of myself for throwing it together so quickly until the art people started complaining that the colors were wrong. I've done several tests and they are correct. My output image is different than their original image.

In an attempt to troubleshoot the process, I had the application simply grab the image from the PDF and then save it as a new file. Then new file had the incorrect coloring as well. I'm very open to the idea that I'm doing something terribly wrong, but I can't figure it out. I've been looking through these forums for the past hour and haven't been able to find anyone with a similar issue.

We are using GdPicture.NET.11 (version 11.2.0.4).

The code that I'm using to load and save the image is as follows:

Code: Select all

GdPictureImaging gd = new GdPictureImaging();

GdPicturePDF pdf = new GdPicturePDF();
pdf.LoadFromFile(cardPrintFile.FullName, false);

int smallImageID = pdf.RenderPageToGdPictureImage(600, false);

gd.SaveAsPDF(smallImageId, "test.pdf", false, "", "", "", "", "");
gd.SaveAsPNG(smallImageID, "test.png");
A snippet of the original image looks like this:
Original.PNG
The new image looks like this:
Copy.PNG
The difference isn't huge, but the shadow around the letters is a heck of a lot darker on the new image than the original and almost blends with the dark blue border. Everything appears to be a little bit darker.

I appreciate your assistance in this.

EDIT: After reviewing the output images some more, the blue background around the text looks washed out while the shadow looks much darker in comparison. The darker blue line (border) next to the lighter blue background is slightly washed out as well.

BigSteve

Re: Colors aren't the same as original

Post by BigSteve » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:34 pm

I've spoken to our artists and they pointed me toward the fact that the original image is CMYK and my new images are RGB.

So, am I screwed or is there a way to force GdPicture to load the image from the PDF in the proper format?