Signing PDFs and Timestamps

Discussions about PDF management.
MattyBoy

Signing PDFs and Timestamps

Post by MattyBoy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:54 am

Regarding signing a PDF with SigSign. Adobe needs a real Timestamp during the cert signing process so it is LTV enabled. Then the document is still valid after the cert has expired.

So, how can we provide a timestamp server to use when the document is being Cert signed?

Help.
Last edited by MattyBoy on Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

MattyBoy

Re: Signing PDFs and Timestamps

Post by MattyBoy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:45 am

Does anyone have information on this??

delbeke

Post by delbeke » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:19 am

For the moment, there is no way for a real time stamping.
This leads to an external call to a time stamping server we can not do.

Jean-Luc.

Best regards.
Jean-Luc

MattyBoy

Post by MattyBoy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:10 pm

You just need to make a call to http://timestamp.verisign.com/scripts/timstamp.dll or some other timestamp url.

The document will be invalid after the Code Sign cert has expired if it doesn't have a time stamp. Not really sure what good this feature is without the timestamp. I can't imaging saving all the originals so that I can resign them, when our cert has been renewed in a couple years. This won't work for anyone in the medical community using signatures.

Please help.

delbeke

Post by delbeke » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:36 am

Hi MattyBoy.

Of course you are right, but for security reason, we do not want our dll to able to make an external call.
After discussion with my CEO , I am starting to find a solution where the external call to the timestamp server should be done by the final application.
The process should be something like this : provide all information needed to sign the pdf, ask GdPicture for a footprint , here it is for the application to make the external call to the the timestamp server with this footprint and wait for the answer, and then the sign with the returned answer.

Due the complexity of the signing process, it will take some time to be implemented.

Best regards
Jean-Luc

Gabriela

Post by Gabriela » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:45 pm

Here you can find a code snippet based on GdPicture.NET 14 with time stamp support:

How to digitally sign or certify PDF documents
https://www.gdpicture.com/guides/gdpicture/web ... ents.html