GDViewer and large PDF files

Discussions about document viewing.
andrew

GDViewer and large PDF files

Post by andrew » Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:46 am

Hello Loïc,

I have a simple tool to split Multipage PDF to single page TIFs using GDViewer and GDPicture. the application seems to work fine however I have run into an issues on files that contain a large number of pages.

When you load a PDF into the viewer, there is a BMP created in the users Temp folder, this file is about 25MB for a letter sized page is rendered at 300 DPI. And each page of the PDF file that is loaded into the viewer creates another BMP, and none of these BMP are removed until you call the closeimage method. I run into a serious problem when splitting files larger than a few hundred pages, in one example the PDF has over 18,000 pages with is about 450GB worth of BMP.

My current workaround is to close and reload the PDF every 100 pages (2.5GB), and then jump to the next page.

Is there some method/property that I am missing, or in a future release would it be possible to disable the cashing of pages in a multipage file.
Also would there be any possibility of setting PDF rendering properties such as pixel format and compression.

Thanks,
Andrew

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: GDViewer and large PDF files

Post by Loïc » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Hi Andrew,
Is there some method/property that I am missing, or in a future release would it be possible to disable the cashing of pages in a multipage file.
Good idea. I will add this feature into the next release.

Code: Select all

Also would there be any possibility of setting PDF rendering properties such as pixel format and compression.
You have 2 properties:

1: PdfDpiRendering: You can decrease this property value to get smaller buffered bitmap.
2: PdfRenderingMode: You can set this property value to JPEG to add JPEG compression to the buffered bitmap.

Best regards,

Loïc Carrère